Allen's Reviews > A Quest for Godliness: The Puritan Vision of the Christian Life

A Quest for Godliness by J.I. Packer

Dec 06, 07

Read in July, 2007

Packer clearly describes the Puritans and their holistic approach to God. He discusses in detail how the Puritans built their lives around the LORD. The portrait he paints is very different from the stigmatized version of Puritanism that is popular today. I would say his main point is that the Puritans were more mature Christians than most of today's Christians and that we have much to learn from them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Quest for Godliness.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Roth "my apartment smells of rich mahogany" Reason I'm excited that you got to read this one! Oh, wait, it was me that gave you this book because it is SWEET!! (and so are you).
No, really, this is one of the most life-changing books I read as a young believer. The depth of puritan spirituality can rub off on you and fill in the numbing influence of most of the other stuff that gets passed off today as encouraging literature. Remember that it was a bunch of "puritans" who wrote the Westminster Confession- you will see the same themes there. This book is also great because it can give you a head start to go ahead and start reading Puritan writings/sermons. They are super difficult for most people, but well worth your effort. Start with someone easy, like Thomas Watson (John Owen is extremely difficult in comparison).