Caitlin's Reviews > The Grass Harp, Including A Tree of Night and Other Stories

The Grass Harp, Including A Tree of Night and Other Stories by Truman Capote

2209914
Mar 20, 2010

Read from March 14 to 20, 2010

This is an utterly charming novella with all the qualities of a good fairy tale. I've always thought that Truman Capote is the bastard child of Eudora Welty and Tennessee Williams. This book is definitely on the Eudora Welty side of the equation, although it also reminds me in moments of We Have Always Lived at the Castle.

This is a tale of misfits, of the freedom of refusing to fit in, and of what it takes to make yourself and your family. The language is elegiac and the relationships are sweet, heartfelt, and complex. Everyone in this book is looking for love, for a place to be - the treehouse at the top of the china tree brings them all together and holds them peaceful in its arms.

There is, of course, the town and its folk who stand in opposition to the people of the tree and who, ultimately, bring the idyll to an end leaving only the shadows of voices on the wind.

What remains for me is the image of the kitchen with its smells of sweet and savory things baking, the sound of conversation on a hot day, and the bowl of goldfish swimming lazily in their bowl.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grass Harp, Including A Tree of Night and Other Stories.