di's Reviews > Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime

Game Change by John Heilemann

Nov 28, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction-informative, politics
Read from April 23 to May 09, 2010

This was a solid 3. I liked the book; kind of the same type of satisfaction when you peek at the tabloid headlines when going through the grocery check-out aisle. But this was part history, part gossip! Kind of fun, & added dimension on the historic election of 2008. (Mostly confirmed the hunches I already had.)

Did it change my life? No. Did it hold any surprises? No. (We followed the election pretty closely.) Didn't make me cynical. Didn't change my view of politics really. While this book is not supposed to be biased (the authors are political columnists for New York Magazine, The New Yorker, the Economist, Time, etc.), the reader can't help but come out of this book with more respect for some players than others. I can't see how anyone can read this and seriously consider Sarah Palin as anything but a fraud. Or maybe a pig in lip-stick ;) (There went the current Tea Party movement!) It will be interesting to watch the 2012 election coming up.

I changed my rating on this book, only because of how much I've thought of this book since reading it. I decided my first rating was largely unfair. The book was very well-written, well-researched, & extremely interesting. It was truly one of my favorite books this year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Game Change.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen that's an insult to pigs!

message 2: by di (new) - rated it 5 stars

di I agree, pigs are actually very lovely animals. And Sarah Palin...well, not so much. Michael & I had all sorts of opinions & hunches about her during the election & the only one that wasn't confirmed in this book was that she & McCain...well, you know.