Greta is Erikasbuddy's Reviews > The Rose and the Beast: Fairy Tales Retold

The Rose and the Beast by Francesca Lia Block

Jun 15, 2010

bookshelves: favorites
Read in June, 2010

WOW!! I'm speachless. Not many books can do that to me. Normally I can take a really cool book and make fun of it but not this book. This one just blew me away.

The Rose and the Beast is exactly what the title says. The author takes 9 fairy tales and retells them. SHe put her own twist on them.

My three favorites were Charm, Bones, and Ice.

WOW!!

The reason I loved these stories so much is because there was a bit of rock-n- roll in them. They brought up past memories in this thrity-something that I was only able to dream about in my youth. Memories of wanting to crowd surf. Wanting to find that wild boy that only I could tame. Thoughts of becoming an artist and smoking cigarettes until my fingers turned gold.

OH my dearies!! Those stories were great!! Such inspiration!! They make me want to pick up a pencil and write a world of broken girls and t-shirt flavored boys. SO perfect!! So delicious!! So forbidden, wicked, and young.

If any of you like poetry, lived in the 90s, and like modern twist on fairy tales... then this books is for you. I adore it so much that I would love to own it.

It's brilliant!! I hope everyone looks into it!!
10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rose and the Beast.

Quotes Greta is Erikasbuddy Liked

Francesca Lia Block
“I'd sit around dreaming that the boys I saw at shows or at work - the boys with silver earrings and big boots - would tell me I was beautiful, take me home and feed me Thai food or omelets and undress me and make love to me all night with the palm trees whispering windsongs about a tortured gleaming city and the moonlight like flame melting our candle bodies.”
Francesca Lia Block, The Rose and the Beast: Fairy Tales Retold

Francesca Lia Block
“She went out in the city with its lights like a radioactive phosphorescence, wandered through galleries where the high-priced art on the walls was the same as the graffiti scrawled outside by taggers who were arrested or killed for it, went to parties in hotel rooms where white-skinned, lingerie-clad rock stars had been staying the night their husbands shot themselves in the head, listened to music in nightclubs where stunning boyish actors had OD'd on the pavement.”
Francesca Lia Block, The Rose and the Beast: Fairy Tales Retold
tags: charm

message 1: by AH (new) - added it

AH Sounds like you enjoyed this one! Good review.

Greta is Erikasbuddy I really really did!! IT's fabulous!!! It makes me want to paint, sing and write!! IT makes me want to dance naked around a bonfire and try to remember the days of my clumsy youth. I totally want to read more by this author! She has such a way with words!

message 3: by One Pushy (new) - added it

One Pushy Fox Great review, Greta!!! I just requested it from my library! Anything you love this much is a must read in my book. :D

message 4: by Greta is Erikasbuddy (last edited Jun 15, 2010 01:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greta is Erikasbuddy OMG Pushy!! You'll adore this book!! I loved it (can you tell? lolz!) there's so much ME in it !! I swear this chick is a genious. Ok wait... I think I just complimented myself lolz. But reallies!!

Check out this passage:

---

I mean... is that not MAGIC?!! Oh!! I want to etch that story in ink somewhere on my body (that's from CHARM) EEEEEEEE!! Loves it!!

message 5: by AH (new) - added it

AH Lights like a radioactive phosphorescence....white skinned lingerie-clad rock stars...OK, I'll have to check if the library has this one.

Greta is Erikasbuddy that reminded me of Courtney Love ;P

Greta is Erikasbuddy Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTQo_i...

I swear man... I read all those stories and it just stirred up so many memories for me! I loved it!!

message 8: by AH (new) - added it

AH OK, started watching that youtube video and my 14 yr old son said "Who is that awful singer?" Had to turn it off. But you are right that description is Courtney Love.

Greta is Erikasbuddy LOLZ!! U're 14 yr old said that? Goood grief!! Now, I feel old hahas! When I was 14 I was bouncing off the walls to Hole.. ok ok... I might have been 16 ;)

YES YES! I think the lingerie is Courtney Love and the OD'er is River Pheonix ;)

message 10: by Vered (new) - added it

Vered Beautiful review!! You made me nostalgic almost teary :)
Definitely going to read it. Thanks for the rec.

Greta is Erikasbuddy YW! I hope you lovers it as much as I did :)

LethalLovely~Maybe I've Always Been More Comfortable in Chaos Great review, Erikasbuddy! I too loved this novel. I think I read it for the first time when I was 12 & I've re-read it at least 20 times since then.

Greta is Erikasbuddy sweetness!!

I just heard about it when I was reading Beastly. It was one of the books the author rec'd.

I truely adored it and refuse to return it to the library until my 3 weeks is up because I want to read it again and again :)