Bxrlover's Reviews > Off Season

Off Season by Anne Rivers Siddons

Mar 27, 10

bookshelves: quit
Read in March, 2010

Having recently finished " Sweetwater Creek", I was anxious to read another ARS novel, but cannot say that I am enjoying this one at all. Her writing style reminds me of Sue Monk Kidd, whom I adore, but this one is irritating me.

Like others have mentioned, I think talking animals are silly and better suited to stories aimed at an audience of 4-8 year olds, not adults.

The characters come off as contrived and although I loved the attention to atmospheric detail in "Sweetwater", it's wearing thin now. There are only so many times I can hear the moon described as " Strawberry" and hear the word " Vermillion" in a given book before it starts sounding pretentious.

As tweens, the dialogue between the children, especially Lily and Cam was unnatural and affected. When one of Lily's male friends " Noticed right away" that she had shaved her legs, I groaned out loud. My own husband doesn't notice when I cut my hair, but I am supposed to believe that a pre teen boy picks up on this kind of detail?

Lily and Cam fall in love in what, 3 days? Lily has never kissed a boy before but within seconds of her first kiss "All her questions about everything are answered"? Way too Harlequin for me......

I may give one more of her books a shot ( ? "Nora, Nora") in the hopes that this was just a one off.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Off Season.