stephanie's Reviews > Looking for Alaska

Looking for Alaska by John Green

Dec 03, 2007

bookshelves: young-adult, prize-winners, would-rec, absolutely-must-read
Read in December, 2007

umm. i don't even have words for how much i love this book. seriously. i never thought i could love a book with a male protagonist so much, especially in a boarding school setting. but. but i love every one of these characters, i love them so much that i bought the book today (because i read the copy from the library).

i will have to come back later, with quotes and more, but in mean time, how will you find your way out of the labryrinth?

(straight and fast, or struggling through?)

this is damn genius. i want a new john green book SO BADLY.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alaska.

Quotes stephanie Liked

John Green
“Francois Rabelais. He was a poet. And his last words were "I go to seek a Great Perhaps." That's why I'm going. So I don't have to wait until I die to start seeking a Great Perhaps.”

John Green
“We are all going, I thought, and it applies to turtles and turtlenecks, Alaska the girl and Alaska the place, because nothing can last, not even the earth itself. The Buddha said that suffering was caused by desire, we'd learned, and that the cessation of desire meant the cessation of suffering. When you stopped wishing things wouldn't fall apart, you'd stop suffering when they did.”

John Green
“But ultimately I do not believe that she was only matter. The rest of her must be recycled, too. I believe now that we are greater than the sum of our parts. If you take Alaska's genetic code and you add her life experiences and the relationships she had with people, and then you take the size and shape of her body, you do not get her. There is something else entirely. There is a part of her greater than the sum of her knowable parts. And that part has to go somewhere, because it cannot be destroyed”
John Green, Looking for Alaska

message 1: by Melody (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Melody Sounds like one I need to read!

message 2: by Chelsea (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chelsea It's killing me that there seems to be no sign of a new Green book anytime soon. There won't even be a paperback Katherines until January.

Why is he doing this to us?!?