Suzanne Moore's Reviews > Bloodroot

Bloodroot by Amy Greene

Mar 05, 2010

bookshelves: east-texas-library-friends, first-novels, spring-challenge-picks, brouhaha
Read from April 14 to May 11, 2010

The setting of the Appalachia Mountains is what drew me to this book. My family is from the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina, and I spent most of my adult years in Tennessee. Amy Greene describes the scenery with flawless detail.
From the days of the depression to present time, Greene’s characters endure many hardships. Myra is the central character whose past connects to her children’s future. The family seems to have been cursed, and Bertie, Myra’s grandmother, believes it may be related to the blood red ring she took from her former employer. The stone represents the dark passionate love Bertie had for her husband and she passes the ring on to Myra, her granddaughter when she marries John Odom. John, as Myra’s husband, wears the ring until Myra resorts to chopping off John’s finger while he is passed out drunk, to get the ring back.
The book’s title, “Bloodroot” comes from the name of the mountain where Myra’s family traces its roots. The mountain is named for a wild plant … the bloodroot flower that grows there. This flower heals, but can also poison. After reading about the dysfunctional lifestyles of the characters in this book, I began thinking about bloodroot in a more symbolic way. The mountain held their heritage for generations and despite hateful actions, in the end, Myra’s children meet the father they never knew… family, blood, has deep roots.
I hated some of the characters for the pain they inflicted, but later as I read about the pain they personally endured, I began to have soft feelings for them. Amy Greene has a way to make you connect with each character at some point in the book. I also thought it was interesting to read about Greene’s literary favorites in her website bio. (Website for Amy Greene) When I read the scene where Laura is cornered by the child protection officer, I almost thought she might take a drastic move like in Toni Morrison’s “Beloved.” Of course … Morrison is one of Greene’s major influences.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodroot.

11/05/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Neyer Suzanne-great review. Another book you make me want to read. Carolyn