Alex Bennett's Reviews > The Morganville Vampires, Volume 1

The Morganville Vampires, Volume 1 by Rachel Caine

Mar 05, 2010

Read in December, 2011

Glass Houses

The Morganville Vampires is one of those series that everyone has been obsessing over for years, so I was of course a bit wary to read Glass Houses. I didn’t want to be let down after all of the hype surrounding the series made me so excited to read it. But once I got that final push, I started Glass Houses and as each page was turned, I liked it more and more.

Glass Houses is more what I would consider new adult instead of young adult. Though the main character is only sixteen, the rest of the characters are college-aged or older. Much, much older in some cases. At first I wasn’t sure if I was going to enjoy the story that much, but as Glass Houses progressed, I found it impossible to put down.

Rachel Caine uses a lot of classic vampire mythology when it comes to her vamps, but she does put fresh new spins on the classic creatures and creates an intoxicating world all her own. I loved finding out more and more about the Morganville vampires, and just had to keep reading to find out more.

I’ve read a lot of young adult books, but none I have read have been written quite like Glass Houses. I can feel from reading the book that Rachel Caine has roots in adult urban fantasy, and that that was where she got her start as a writer. I feel like Glass Houses was influenced heavily by adult urban fantasy, and I really actually loved that about it. It makes it different and unique, and completely addicting.

Claire is thrown into a completely unknown world at a very young age. At sixteen she is already in college, where she her life is threatened daily by a pack of awful school bullies. And to top it off, she then learns about the dark and deadly vampires that run Morganville. I liked Claire as a character, but there really wasn’t anything that set her apart for me. I loved the background characters, however, and can’t wait to read more about them.

Though I was wary of starting The Morganville Vampires, the hype for this series is more than well deserved. If you’re looking for an intoxicating, addicting new take on vampires, look no further than The Morganville Vampires. Rachel Caine has officially won me over, and after an ending like that I can’t wait to see what happens after Glass Houses.

The Dead Girls' Dance

I’m even surprised that I didn’t start The Dead Girls’ Dance immediately after reading Glass Houses, the first book in the Morganville Vampires series. The ending of that one was a total shock, but I was somehow able to hold off reading The Dead Girls’ Dance for a few months after reading the first book. Now I’m wondering why the heck I waited so long!

Transitioning back into the world of Morganville was surprisingly easy. The stakes are much higher in The Dead Girls’ Dance than they were the first time around, and I was absolutely thrilled at how exciting this book was. There are vampire hunters, hostages, giant fires, and vampires! What more could you want?

Of course, Rachel Caine’s great writing doesn’t hurt either. She doesn’t leave any unnecessary fluff, and every word helps to move the story along. Her style is different than most young adult authors’, and I do seem to like it. There were times when I felt it was a little choppy, but not very often.

Claire is a lot stronger in The Dead Girls’ Dance than she was in Glass Houses, and I really like where her character is going. She’s not little good girl anymore, and living in Morganville you can’t afford to be like that. The other characters don’t take as much of a spotlight as Claire, but they were all great too. There were many new characters introduced, and I’m having fun speculating what lies ahead for those characters.

I loved going back to Morganville with The Dead Girls’ Dance, and definitely won’t be waiting long to read Midnight Alley, and the rest of the Morganville Vampires books. Do yourself a favor and pick these books up!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Morganville Vampires, Volume 1.

12/06/2011 page 250
55.0% 1 comment
12/18/2011 page 350
77.0% 1 comment
12/19/2011 page 400
88.0% "!!!!"
show 1 hidden update…

Tristan I LOVE rhi series, I hope u enjoy it

Maria Schneider It is good--I just hate the cliff-hanger endings! But what a great ride. Lots of fun and characters you can care about. Nice review.

message 3: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn I absolutely LOVE this series... One of my favorites!!!