Amelia, the pragmatic idealist's Reviews > The Replacement

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

Mar 09, 11

bookshelves: 2010, ya-kids-teen, arcs, paranormal, point-of-view-guy
Read from August 09 to 14, 2010

I absolutely adored the originality of The Replacement. I think the fact that this is the author's first published book is phenomenal. The story's major strength was in its imagery and attention to detail. The eerie town of Gentry and the House of Mayhem under the slag heap were so detailed, so vividly imaginative, that it turned Replacement from a fun book to an edge-of-the-seat thrill ride.
The characters were also fleshed out very well and very creepily, I might add. The Morrigan and the "creatures" of her court were so hideously delightful, unlike anything I've read before. I liked how they were portrayed, too. They weren't evil, and yet they were so creepy and so ominous that you couldn't help but feel apprehensive. Side note: Don't you just love it when books make you FEEL? Though the story deals with 'changelings' I liked how The Replacement seemed to have its own original, tailor-made folklore. Never once did the word 'faerie' get attached to any of the characters, therefore I felt like I was reading a brand-spanking new take on an old concept. I'm almost positive you haven't read anything like this before.
As to the MC himself, Mackie Doyle is one of the most endearing, likable and heroic guys I've seen in YA fiction in a loooooooong time. You could not find a better guy to root for in a story like this. His voice is perfect.
- Months after reading The Replacement, I think that the book's actual story definitely held up to its awesome, breathtaking cover. Cover design lures you in, story keeps you satisfied. Period.
All these things being said...

I did have some issues with the pacing of the story. Seemed like an emphasis on the high school "drama" subplots and not really enough of a focus on the "creatures" until halfway in. Replacement's thriller/suspense tone was offset by high school popularity issues and two chapter-long parties (which included underage drinking, of course - y'all know that I find that really annoying). It may sound like nitpicking, but in a fantasy story with horror overtones, those things were distracting and threw the pacing off. And personally, I could have done without the 'Alice' character. I didn't really see any purpose to her inclusion in the story, although I just loved it when Tate beat her up :P
**As to content, be aware that there is strong language throughout this book, as well as some moderate-level sexual content, again just FYI for the viewer's discretion.

But did I enjoy this book? Definitely. Would I recommend it? I'd say it's one that would be worth your time, yes. The Replacement was a fascinating, thoroughly original story that I absolutely devoured. To my knowledge, it's a standalone novel, and in an age where most authors are birthing out [random] sequels after-the-fact, a good ol' single installment story is worth its weight! Check this out :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Replacement.

08/11/2010 page 50
14.0% "started reading after I watched this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41hMh1ijB... The first part was hilarious, but the rest of it was downright CREEPY. And now I'm going into a CREEPY book after watching a CREEPY video...I'm creeped out. I guess I'm in the PERFECT mood for this, then :P"
08/11/2010 page 50
14.0% "Tim Burton? puh-leez. I'm thinking more M Night Shamywhatever or Guillermo del Toro or even Chris Weitz." 2 comments
08/12/2010 page 200
57.0% "nearly finished."
08/12/2010 page 201
57.0% "well, I *did* like Mackie...up until this point. Now he's just acting like a prick." 3 comments
08/13/2010 page 301
86.0% ""What are you supposed to be, like some kind of boogeyman?" - haha oh that Roswell!"

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist hahaha oh come on, Jillian!
You've had luck with ARCs too :D
This is the 2nd one I've ever gotten!

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist okie dokie :D
I'm wondering if I should read this now or wait till closer to September.
Hmmm! :P

AtenRa Wow!!!!!!!!I am so jealous!!!!This and Hunger are the only ARCs I just HAVE to have!!!!!!!I am so happy(and jealous :P) for you Amelia!Looking forward to your review :)

*Queen Diva* The cover of this book is bad ass!!

message 5: by Amelia, the pragmatic idealist (last edited Jul 05, 2010 09:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist definitely!

I like how the cover is shiny, too :P

I am Bastet Amelia, how do you manage to get ARCs? Do you go to cons that have them (like BEA) or do you request from the publisher since you have a blog? :)

message 7: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess id love to hear what you think, because im 50-50 on reading this one...

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist hey Jess!
so far, so good :D

I am Bastet But I'm so curious! :-P

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist hey I might need to send you a message, because I've been thinking I might have to change the way I've been reviewing books...

message 11: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess In what way?

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist when I read, I unintentionally pay attention to the writing parts of the story: pacing, characterization, plot structure, etc. And most people probably don't care about those things when they read reviews. They just want to know if it's any good or not. Well, that's how I determine if something is good - by how well-written it is. And I can't seem to turn off 'Writer Amelia' when I read, so I end up sounding ultra-critical
:S

message 13: by *Queen Diva* (new) - added it

*Queen Diva* There is nothing wrong with that Amelia!! Everyone reviews books differently and has different criteria for what makes a good book, and if that's your criteria then sing it loud and proud sister!! Nothing wrong with it! Write your reviews in a way that's true to you, don't worry about what other people care about. Some people DO care about those same things too and appreciate your reviews!

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist aww thank you Teresa!
*hugs*
I will be loud and proud!
:DD

message 15: by *Queen Diva* (new) - added it

*Queen Diva* *hugs back* Haha, I think your reviews are wonderful and meaningful! My reviews tend to just my opinions and thoughts of randomness of things of the book (haha I'm always like "This character is so funny I died everytime he opened his mouth" LOL so my reviews aren't helpful at all, but it's just the things I feel like saying so I say it!) I always admire the detail in your reviews and I'm always like *big anime adoring eyes* "Wow, look at how long that review is! She's so wonderful to take the time to write all that and think about all that!!" haha!

So what I'm trying to say is, you rock!! :-p And so do your reviews!

I am Bastet I like your reviews exactly as they are! :)

Christie I love your reviews! Don’t change a thing :)

I agree 110% with your feelings on this book. We need more characters like Mackie in YA novels and less characters like Alice. Tate didn’t do much for me either, but I think I could have liked her. Would have loved to see more time with his parents as well.

& the tongue ring scene should have been left out. Blech! Even with my complaints the assets still outweighed the flaws with this one.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist yeah! I actually was thinking of your review when I was writing mine. I didn't like Tate either - she was a little too intense for me, and I didn't like the way she treated sweet little Mackie, haha.

Ashley Brooke Nice review! I found this title to be pretty engaging. I had similar problem where I thought everything happened really quickly. So, do you think stand-alone novel or beginning of a series?

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist from what I understand (and what I saw on the author's site) this is supposed to be a stand-alone. I asked Maggie Stiefvater the question, and she confirmed it was a stand-alone. :) Who knows what the publisher will decide, though?

message 21: by Katelyn (new) - added it

Katelyn I'm so glad you liked this so much, I'm on the tour for this one and I can't wait to read it!

message 22: by Britney (new)

Britney What a great review! Thank you for the info. I have a hard time finding reviews that tell me what to expect without giving away the whole book. Thanks again

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I was wondering if this was the start of a series or not, so I was hesitant to try it but I think I'll give it a go! I too am annoyed that almost every YA book that comes out these days is part of a series or trilogy!