Chris's Reviews > Shadow's Edge

Shadow's Edge by Brent Weeks

Mar 05, 2010

liked it
Recommended to Chris by: David Gemmel Award list
Recommended for: People with potty mouths who like a good read
Read from March 01 to 03, 2010

This book has me more torn than I have been in memory about a book/series I am reading. The story telling is awesome. The premise is not old and mundane. The plot moves along well and is interesting. The characters are sympathetic, believable, and realistic. The language is vulgar. I thought the author was British because of their differing standards for the vulgarity of a certain word. Turns out he is from Portland and simply writes with a vulgar pen. Typically, my not-so-restrictive standard is that the language and treatment of certain topics not be any more debasing than my everyday life, preferably significantly less so. This one fails that test, and if the book was anything less, I would have quit sometime in the first book. As it is, I will read the third book and potentially his new book coming out. I wish there were a TV version of the book. Not a show on TV, but a version where they have pun in funny, not-quite-fitting euphemism in place of offensive word choices. Were that the case, I would recommend these books as highly as any I have read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow's Edge.