Leah's Reviews > Soulless

Soulless by Gail Carriger

Mar 05, 2010

bookshelves: first-time, 4-stars, thats-some-funny-shit, m-f
Read from October 10 to 12, 2010

** spoiler alert ** All Alexia Tarabotti, a preternatural (someone who nullifies the powers of supernaturals), wanted was a cup of tea and some food. Instead, she was attacked (multiple times) by a vampire and was forced to kill him. As a result of this, BUR agent Lord Conall Maccon is put on the case of finding out who this mysterious vampire was. As a result, Alexia is pulled into hive business, almost kidnapped twice, romantic trysts with the gorgeous werewolf (Lord Maccon), eventually taken captive, and perverse, dangerous experiments are almost done on her. Luckily, Lord Maccon, who was also captured by the scientists, is there to save her from said experiments. During all this time, Lord Maccon and Alexia realize their love for each other and get married in the end.

Soulless was a cute little read and I found it to be quite enjoyable. This was my first Steampunk book and I really enjoyed it. The characters were hilarious and interesting, as was the plotline.

I thoroughly enjoyed Alexia and her commentary throughout the novel. She makes the funniest comments and I loved that she was not afraid to just say whatever she wanted.

Lord Maccon, that studly werewolf, was fantastic and I loved him from the start. I enjoyed seeing his relationship with Alexia progress and their romance end on a happy note.

The only character that I was not completely enamored of was Lord Akeldama. I think that was because about half his words were in italics and that became a bit tiresome after a while.

I read this book upon the recommendation of friends and because on in particular lent it to me (Thank you, Suzanne! ;), and I can only hope that the rest of the series is as good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soulless.

10/10/2010 page 234

Catherine Great review, Leah! I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I enjoyed Lord Akeldama, but I can definitely see why he irritated you sometimes.

Leah Thank you! He was okay at times, but after a while the italics just started getting on my nerves.

message 3: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I'm glad you enjoyed this book. Doesn't it make you want to get a cup of tea and a pimped out parasol?

Great review.

Leah LOL, yeah it kind of does, so I can go around hitting people with my parasol!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Hey Leah I am glad you liked it!

Leah Me too, thanks for sending it too me :D