Samantha's Reviews > Hana's Suitcase: A True Story

Hana's Suitcase by Karen Levine

Mar 05, 2010

bookshelves: informational-books-bios

Levine's book introduces use to Hana and Fumiko. We learn about Hana's childhood and journey to Auschwitz, where she is only survived by her brother. Fumiko is a Japanese teacher that is focused on educating her students on the holocaust. She has a suitcase and name, which leads her to learn more about Hana. She contacts Hana's brother hoping for more information without upsetting him. George is overwhelmed but happy to know his sister's memory is alive and honored. The book ends with George traveling to Japan to meet Fumiko and the Japanese school children.

I really liked this story even though it did lacked some of the official feel the other books had. It did not feel like an informational book, but more of a story. The images were the artifacts and citations to me. It was still a very powerful story. I appreciated how it shows the importance of people caring about the Holocaust. If this teacher had not valued Hana's life and her experience – Hana's brother and the kids would not have had this powerful experience. We would not have this book and information to add to our resources.

I would use this book with a more factual one for a Holocaust unit in 4-8th grade. I think a story like this makes the personal connection needed to care about all the facts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hana's Suitcase.

message 1: by L- Lisa (new) - added it

L- Lisa The story format sounds like a good approach to bringing the reader into this tragic time with the real characters and their lives for that important connection. I will add this book to my list!