Celine's Reviews > Hush, Hush

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Aug 31, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, romance, paranormal
Read from August 30 to 31, 2010

Read this in one night. It is a fun and quick read, you get sucked in immediately. I don't get all the Twilight comparisons. It is nothing like Twilight. Twilight, to be honest, quite sucked. This was fun. Patch (what I think is quite a cute name) is damn hot. Wish I could touch his back too..

Fitzpatrick has created a world that's quite believable. I was glad it didn't resemble Fallen too much. It starts off the same; mysterious boy at a school that seems unreachable. But where Daniel is really rude, Patch is just being distant, but he is never mean to Nora. He is a tease, but who doesn't like a hot guy teasing you...

The process of Nora accepting that Patch isn't human, and that angels do exist was a bit rushed in my opinion. She only deals with Patch being unhuman, not with that the Bible was right and her whole world is upside down. Shouldn't she doubt what else is real if angels are real? I think this is one of the great gaps in the story.

The Nephelim lore was interesting. I haven't read a lot of books that focus on angels, so it felt quite new for me. It is refreshing to read something different than the old vamp/were stuff. I would like to read more about angels, they are quite interesting (and hot!).

You can just feel the chemistry between our couple. Patch cares for Nora from the beginning of the story, and Nora slowly grows into it. The development wasn't rushed and felt natural. She acts very like her age, which I think is quite an achievement. You see her slowly admitting her feelings for Patch, even though he is dangerous and she knows nothing about him. She does some irresponsible things, but who doesn't at that age? I liked that even though Hush, Hush is a young-adult book they don't act like sex doesn't exist. It isn't that implicit and in-your-face, but you can tell Nora wants more from Patch than just a little kiss.

Okay, the ending might be predictable, we all knew this would be the best solution, but it was sweet. Now we can read more about our new favourite angel-human couple. Give me part two!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hush, Hush.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

umm, celine's he actually tried to kill her a lot of times. I don't think he cared for her from the start. I may be wrong, cause I just read it once. Let me know what you think. Cause he himself confessed Nora about it.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Celine I know he tried to kill her, but he didn't. Because he couldn't. So I think that does say something about him. Maybe I'm not so hard on him because he's hot ;)

message 4: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I think the Twilight comparisons come from when they first met in biology class. He does try to kill her, because he needs to (if I remember it). No parents around, like Twilight. Dangerous guy, loner girl, like Twilight. I did like the book when I first read it, and it does have a beautiful cover. Since I read it, I have been exposed to way better books and I would most likely reduce my rating down a few stars. But I'm too lazy to do it.

Nephilim (which actually means the fallen ones in hebrew) were a group of angels and there is a lot of angel literature about all the different groups of angels. A story about Nephilim could be great if it was done with research and care. And maybe that's why I rated it higher, because it was one of the first stories I saw with these angels....

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

@Celine: Ya right cause you see, in the beginning when he wasn't in love with her, he tried to kill Nora, but couldn't. So that makes him a bad guy. But his behavior was teasing and not as creepy as it was later in the story, when he actually fell for her. So it was supposed to be less creepy. but never mind, you are totally blinded by his hotness :D.

@AH: I think that it doesn't matter that the twilight copycat trend has started and authors are writing similar stuff. The thing is that even if its a copycat, is it really worth reading or not? I know that after all how long people can bear to read the similar kind of stuff again and again. But I think the trend is temporary due to the recent success of the Twilight series. And both, authors and readers will get over it.

Celine Yeah, the fist setting is a little bit similar to Twilight, but the way Nora and Patch interact is so different I really don't feel like comparing. I like Nora so much better than Bella's whiny attitude... There are probably way better books out there on fallen angels and the Nephilim, but I'm not so acquainted with the angel genre and I haven't read that much books about them, so I don't really have material to compare. Maybe when I do, I will have to rate this book lower in comparison too (:

I guess I just have a weak spot for the bad guy Bookloversden. I find myself rooting for the bad guy a little bit too often in books... But at least this one redeems himself a bit in the end! And I want to kiss him. Really can't help it, hehe.