Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > A Spy in the House

A Spy in the House by Y.S. Lee

Mar 28, 10

bookshelves: historical-fiction, england, ya, mystery
Read from March 27 to 28, 2010

A must read for fans of historical fiction, mystery, and strong heroines. Picture Nancy Drew living in Victorian England and you have the new spunky Mary Lang aka Mary Quinn.

An orphan destined for the gallows, Mary is rescued by a school for girls that is an agency on the side. Her first assignment: Pose as a lady's companion and extract as much information as she can about stolen goods from India. We meet an interesting cast of characters as Mary becomes embroiled in more than the bargained for. The ladies of the house have mysterious comings and goings. Perhaps an illicit love affair or two is in the works? The sexy yet frustratingly arrogant, James Easton, keeps popping up at the worst moments, in wardrobes and broken into warehouses. Also Mary suspects a young boy is following her about, spying on the spy.

While all these goings on are occuring, Mary's own family history begins to come to light and may even have some bearing on the present case. Either way, Mary must come to terms with who she is.

A fun read and it's staying on my shelf, eagerly awaiting the rest of the series.

For those that are interested, the author has a great contest going on her blog. Finish this sentence and be entered for a prize. "If I were a spy..." See my entry below if interested and join yourself for the fun of it!

"If I were a spy… I certainly wouldn’t be a “Bond” girl, that’s for sure. No “Octopussy” or “Holly Goodhead” name for me.. I would have a code name like “The Ball Collector.” I would wear all black and take my dog, Lola, a black peckingnese with me everywhere I went. She is a an excellent judge of character. She is also quite fierce despite her size (14 pounds) and she would detain the bad guys by holding on to their pant legs and growling in the brief amount of time it takes me to grab my 9mm (or my pruning shears, whatever the job requires…gotta earn that code name!). When not spying and nabbing bad guys, Lola and I would be cruising around in our Aston Martin. Oh and every now and then I would enlist some “aide” from Paul Walker."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Spy in the House.

03/27/2010 page 1
0.3% "From Irene. Very excited about this one." 2 comments
03/27/2010 page 100
29.85% "Really enjoying this story and heroine so far. I wonder when the next one is coming out?"