Sandra 's Reviews > The Curse of the Mistwraith

The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts

Feb 11, 13

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites
Read from May 13, 2010 to September 18, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 3

ETA 2/11/2013: This is a series that builds with beautifully woven detail. It takes persistence, because there are unreliable narrators, small clues that get lost first time through, etc. But by the time I got to book 9, Initiate's Trial, I saw much more clearly how all of it is woven together. The style takes some getting used to, but after halfway through it reads like butter. (end of edit)

This may have been one of the best books I've read. It certainly has one of the most complex, intriguing, and intense, brilliant, and enchanting main characters I've come across in a long, long time. I am so glad there are more books because I'm not ready to let go of Arithon.

It took some time for me to get oriented in the complex world that Janny has created. But once I did, it was hang on because the action is exciting and potentially deadly, the evil is truly scary, and the two half brothers are fascinating. Essentially the book is about what the title says - wars of light and shadow. One brother commands light, the other shadow. In a sense, it's the old war of good and evil, or of consciousness and unconsciousness; but the complexity and ambiguity of good/bad, light/dark are not so easy to discern.

The one character that I fell in love with is Arithon in all his intensity, his deep understanding of the consequences of action/non-action, love/hate, good/bad are so painful at times that it brought tears to my eyes. And even though events take place in a fantasy world, the conflicts, tensions, and emotions are very real and pertinent to today.

For a really good review, see Stefan's. He is much more analytical than I.

ETA 9/20/11: I finished a reread and saw so much better this time through how much Lysaer is a total victim of the curse and feel sorry for him. Arithon is the lucky one as he can separate himself at least at times. The sorcerers really did mess up, this time, saving Arithon so that the Mistwraith wouldn't learn his mage sight, when they already had.
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curse of the Mistwraith.

Quotes Sandra Liked

Janny Wurts
“An illusion threatens no one with harm. Neither can it be dispelled by armed force.”
Janny Wurts, The Curse of the Mistwraith

05/13/2010 page 51
8.42% "I can already tell I'm really gonna like Arithon."
05/16/2010 page 241
39.77% "Couched amid calculating wrinkles, her eyes gleamed black as a carrion crow's." 2 comments
05/16/2010 page 380
62.71% "Truth is like a gem with many facets - reflection and illusion from every outward angle."
05/16/2010 page 430
70.96% "Holy crap! This is intense."
05/17/2010 page 504
83.17% "Wish this was available as an ebook. I really do like reading my Nook or computer best."
05/17/2010 page 504
83.17% "Well, I'm hooked. I just ordered #3."
05/17/2010 page 584
96.37% "Man! Those damn wraiths have ruined everyting, but I couldn't picture Arithon as a king. He's too sensitive and torn." 6 comments
09/17/2011 page 1
0.0% "rereading this."
09/17/2011 page 69
8.0% "oh man, hooked again."
09/17/2011 page 152
18.0% "I can't believe how much I have forgotten and how much happens in the first six chapters."
09/18/2011 page 246
29.0% "Every time more becomes clear."
09/18/2011 page 338
56.0% "Whew! The last battle with the Mistwraith was a doozy!" 2 comments
09/19/2011 page 406
67.0% "Oh man, on rereading this, I am really going to have to take back all those nasty things I said about Lysaer."
show 1 hidden update…

LethalLovely~You Knew Who I Was With Every Step That I Ran to You Great review Sandra! Definitely adding this to my TBR shelf.

Sandra Thanks. Hope your library has it.

LethalLovely~You Knew Who I Was With Every Step That I Ran to You I checked & it does. The hold list isn't too long either so yay!

Sandra Oh good!

Sandra ****SPOILERS*****

I checked and there's no detailed description of the actual gates in the beginning of the book. Lysaer is dumped through the World's End gate, then they traverse the desert to the city of Mearth to a World's Gate. It says only that Lysaer beheld the chipped ancient stone of the World's End gate. What is this in-between space?

Alissa Great review Sandra, the Red Desert is one of the splinter worlds, right? I saw on the map 4 gates, I'm looking forward to know more!

Sandra Alissa wrote: "Great review Sandra, the Red Desert is one of the splinter worlds, right? I saw on the map 4 gates, I'm looking forward to know more!"