Barks & Bites's Reviews > Cell

Cell by Stephen King

Mar 05, 10

bookshelves: horror
Read in January, 2007

The Cell is about the end of the world via cell phone. It's very timely, considering you can't get a damn coffee without having to hear someone's one sided conversation.

One afternoon people are going about their annoying conversations when suddenly all who were talking on the cell phones turn into bloodthirsty, violent "phone crazies". Those who own a cell but weren't using it at the time and make the fatal stake of calling their loved ones, or 911, to find out what the hell is going on, turn all crazy as well. Soon most everyone has reverted into a raving lunatic. The story follows a small band of survivors who were lucky enough to avoid the cell phone crazy making message as they make their way in this strange new world. It's very violent, often sad and some of the action eerily takes place in my neighboring town! Though the ending had me pulling my hair out, I remained entranced until the last word.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cell.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Angela I quite enjoyed Cell as well. A nice "end of the world" story, even if some of it is contrived. :-)

chucklesthescot Yeah I was enjoying this book until it went into that weird bit that SK seems to like throwing in to spoil all his books now! The vast majority of the book was good but the ending makes me wonder whether to keep it or not. And yes the age of the mobile phone is driving me slowly mad...especially phones with ringtones of someone farting!!!