Maria's Reviews > I Capture the Castle

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

Aug 17, 10

bookshelves: 1001, historical-fiction, romance, intelligent
Read from August 08 to 17, 2010

After a week of struggling to find the time to read this book with the concentration it deserves, I find I'm at a loss for the right words to write this review. I started reading this novel because the reviews made it seem like a charming read but I finished it having gleaned a much more personal revelation than I ever would have thought possible. I'm at a cross roads in life that require some deep soul searching that isn't pleasant to do, and this book has helped me accomplish some of it whether I wanted to or not. What starts out as a novel about a silly girl dealing with poverty and a practically insane family, turns into a weighty coming of age tale. Cassandra reminds me of myself and my own journal keeping in a lot of her passages, and her desire to write reflects my own silly wish to do so as well. I'm afraid though, that I relate most of all to her father. While he seems practically insane I feel I know exactly how he feels, the weight of perfection suffocating any chance he might currently have to write another novel as successful as the first. I get why he spends all his time reading or doing puzzles and shutting himself off from society.
Above everything that I loved about this book, was the writing. There's something about the language in early victorian-esque novels that totally captivates me. I now find myself totally willing to give up modern conveniences to have at least one day at Godsend castle with Cassandra and the rest of the Mortiman crew.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Capture the Castle.