Mimi's Reviews > The Master Butchers Singing Club

The Master Butchers Singing Club by Louise Erdrich

Mar 05, 10

Read in March, 2003

As I read this book, I couldn't help feel the power of Fidelis Waldvogel, as well as the strength of Delphine Watzka. They were both wonderfully drawn characters who, though from different worlds, managed to share a similar destiny. Ms. Erdrich also created other characters with fascinating stories of their own while at the same time linking them all together in a meaningful way.

I've read some reviews stressing disappointment in the stark landscape portrayed in this tale. I, however, found the descriptions of life in Argus, North Dakota of the 1930s intriguingly real and the images were refreshing to a metro New Yorker who has never visited that region of the U.S. I also found the Native American history enlightening and important.

My only negative admission is that I found myself skimming the final couple chapters because the description got a bit tedious at that point. The ending, however, did not disappoint and I look forward to reading more of Louise Erdrich's writing.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Master Butchers Singing Club.