David's Reviews > Cat Yoga: Fitness and Flexibility for the Modern Feline

Mar 08, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010
Read in March, 2010

peace and harmony 1

As 2009 drew to a close, all was not well in the Giltinan household. The six months I'd spent outside of the country had taken their toll on Boris and Natasha, whose carefully nurtured resentment had gone from simmer to boil by the time I got back from Madrid in early December. Kitty dissatisfaction crept through the house on little cat feet, like the fog in an Eliot poem. Boris had taken my absences particularly hard - there was his daring five-day escape caper during the summer, followed by the unspeakable autumn flea infestation. When Christmas rolled around, he was still ostentatiously withholding his affection, sleeping grouchily on his own downstairs, still engaged in a guerrilla campaign of revenge urination episodes.

I am happy to report that the new year has ushered in a period of glasnost and perestroika, with complete reconciliation and cessation of hostilities by mid-January. No more punitive pissing or wilful destruction of furniture. Both kitties have returned to sleeping on the bed, purring like plump, sleek dynamos, with only sporadic attempts to suffocate me by jumping on my sleeping face. The peaceable kingdom.

I received a copy of Rick Tillotson's "Cat Yoga" as a Christmas gift from a concerned friend. One week later peace broke out. Now, as a statistician, I am fully aware that correlation is not causation, so that it would be presumptuous to infer any kind of cause and effect relationship. Anyway, I have never actually witnessed Boris engaged in the Downward Dog pose; neither has Natasha been observed flexing up to achieve the challenging Natarajasana balance posture ("Lord Shiva's Pose").

But I have heard those mysterious noises coming from downstairs in the wee hours just before dawn. And somehow the book never seems to be in quite the same position as it was left the night before. Natasha's scratching exercises bear an uncanny resemblance to the Urdhva Hastottasana. And how to explain both kitties' uncanny mastery of the Bilikasana?

So I cannot guarantee that purchasing a copy of "Cat Yoga" will bring immediate feline harmony to your home. But it couldn't hurt.

But my main reaction to this book was similar to my reaction to "Pets with Tourettes" - Why the hell didn't I think of it first?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cat Yoga.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica like your cats, I'm glad you're back!

message 2: by Gail (new)

Gail Marvelous, David. Thank you for a day brightener.