Badly Drawn Girl's Reviews > The Robber Bride

The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood

Mar 06, 10

Read from March 05 to 06, 2010

This is the 5th book by Margaret Atwood I've read and it's the one I liked the least. That doesn't mean I didn't like it, or that I don't think it's a good book. But for the first time, I found myself struggling at times to stay motivated. I can't quite put my finger on why except that perhaps it's because none of the main characters really spoke to me in any meaningful way. And at times, I felt like I was revisiting Cat's Eye, with Zenia standing in for Cordelia. Makes me wonder about Margaret Atwood's experience with women friends. It seems like a potential sore spot.

I think part of the problem is that I couldn't imagine following for the things these women fell for. That may just stem from my own personal nature. I wouldn't moved Zenia into my house, period. I wouldn't have bent over backward for a person who at best is a mere acquaintance. She was never truly friends with any of them so why were they so easily taken by her? At times I couldn't do much more than roll my eyes at the way the story was going.

I guess I just have mixed emotions about this. It's a good book but I've come to expect so much more from this author.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Robber Bride.

03/05/2010 page 243
03/05/2010 page 243
46.02% "I feel like I'm reading an alternate version of Cat's Eye. Is Zenia the new Cordelia, or vice versa?"
show 1 hidden update…