Meagan's Reviews > The Wise Man's Fear

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

May 12, 12

bookshelves: big-fat-book, part-of-a-series, own, 2012-reads, action, adventure, faery, favorites, folklore, made-me-laugh, magic, music, favorites-of-the-favs
Read from February 10 to May 13, 2012

While there were a couple of slower sections in this book, I decided to go with the full five stars. Reading through other reviews (particularly the one star ratings because I find it amusing to read when someone absolutely LOATHES a book) I can't help but see where they are coming from in their views. However, while they were irritated by certain elements, I found those same elements endearing.
I love Kvothe. Sure, he is an immature little twit at times but that just makes me like him all the more. It is nice to see imperfections in a leading role. And you can't deny that the kid has personality.
Did it bother me hearing about how poor he is, how great he can sing and play the lute, how much he and Ambrose hate each other or about his adventures at the University? No. In fact, I rather missed him being at the University while he was off chasing the wind.
I find Rothfuss to be a master at his craft. I am amazed at the intricacy of his writing. That he can keep straight the minute details of this tale is amazing to me. The writing is precise and every word is there for a reason. AND.THERE.ARE.A.LOT.OF.WORDS. There is not getting around the fact that this is a big, fat book. I personally love a big book when it is full of writing such as this and I love watching the story unfold before my eyes. Sure, there were a few sections that may have dragged on a little too much for my taste but all in all I thought this was another home run for one of my favorite authors.
I would highly recommend this series to anyone who enjoys a wonderfully crafted tale. I cannot wait for the next book!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wise Man's Fear.

03/19/2012 page 355
36.0% "I've sworn off my kindle (which distracts me at times) so I can get back to reading this one. So good!"
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Meagan Rothfuss is doing a book signing in Lexington 2 days after my due date...Not fair! I was hoping to have the baby before then but now I might be praying to go late. :)

Michele So funny! I agree that I would have loved to read more about him at the university. I can't see how anyone could give it a one star....although I really do not like Dinah, I do believe her character.