Marty's Reviews > Ishmael: An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn

619557
Nov 17, 2007

liked it
Recommended for: patient, thoughtful readers

Daniel Quinn's books offer two things: 1.) a challenge to read 2.) the reward of better understanding how the planet's connundrums (war, hunger, overpopulation) are "facts" of life.

Actually three things: 3.) all this sage wisdom comes from a talking Gorilla. No shit...

Please bear with me!

Example - World population and hunger: There will ALWAYS be an exponential expansion of population beyond the means of production, and this is illustrated deftly (if not repetitiously to drive home one of MANY points) from mankind's earliest practioners through contemporary models.

Check out the works and theories of Thomas Robert Malthus ('Population Malthus' via GoodReads)to understand 'curing' world hunger - BETTER FIND A NEW HOBBY!

There are other lessons Ishmael teaches and the author asks us, through these teachings, to consider a more essential and compassionate approach to our individual or collective lives.

If you can get through Ishmael, you may want to read through others of Quinn's books for additional pay-offs. Eventually.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ishmael.