Jill's Reviews > The Book of Lost Things

Mar 29, 10

bookshelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Recommended to Jill by: Emma
Read from March 24 to 28, 2010

This book reminded me of the movie "Pan's Labyrinth" at least in the beginning. There's the step-parent, the war, the visions/hallucinations/connection with another world, and finally, the meeting of that world. The child has to rely on him/her own wiles to survive.

The book was vaguely predictable, but I felt that was sort of the point - that in telling a story about stories, the reader (if he is well read) will inevitably recognize the themes and cadence of the writing, and perhaps find reassurance in that. However, it is not so predictable that it is ever boring. In fact, when I first started reading this I could only read it when it was light out because if I read it too close to bedtime I would end up with nightmares. It's not particularly gory as such (no more than most fairy tales pre-Disney-fication), but there is suspense in the actual deaths and maiming of creatures.

There are aspects of this that would lend itself well to being read by young adults as well as older adults, but I wouldn't call it a YA book (hence, not on my YA shelf). Best for those who like a bit of fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Lost Things.