Alex's Reviews > Bait

Bait by Alex   Sanchez

Mar 09, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, fiction
Read in February, 2010

Although I haven't read all of Sanchez's books, I've read the majority and this is very different from his others. This one was darker, more serious and completely refreshing (err, by the end).

He touches upon some very sensitive subjects in a realistic and capable way and helps his lead character get through them. The supporting cast is excellent, from his mother who ignores his situation to the parole officer who is trying to help him. While I wasn't wild about the girlfriend, she provided the support Diego needed and was balanced out by Kenny, Diego's best friend, who eventually gives up on Diego after some rather rude comments.

I don't think there was much of anything that I disliked in this novel (even the cover got my seal of approval!). Although some of the situations were difficult for me on a personal level and evoked some strong emotions, Sanchez never pushed too hard, which is probably good considering his audience.

On a side note, I read this book immediately after reading Sanchez' Getting It and it was quite the jump.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bait.