Timothy Dean's Reviews > Teeth - The Epic Novel with Bite

Jun 12, 10

(Review from the author)
bookshelves: books-i-have-written
Read in November, 2009

I wrote it, so I better like it! This is the first volume of the South Pacific Trilogy set at the end of WWII - the same region and time-period as the HBO hit TV Miniseries, "The Pacific."

I was inspired by the picture of the real man-eater of the time period that you will see in the book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-med...).

"TEETH" is a great adventure quest, and was inspired by man-versus-nature epic horror/monster stories like "Moby Dick," "Call of the Wild," "Jaws," and the "Jurassic Park" series. The story takes you on both a great physical adventure through a real time and place, and an inner odyssey of growth and discovery for 20-year-old, Johnny Willman.

I grew up in various parts of the world, including "Cannibal Island" - New Guinea - and India, Mexico, the Philippines and Australia, and so, by lifelong experience, I have a multicultural, international point of view. As an adult, I have lived or traveled in all the places described in "TEETH", including the US (Johnny's homes of San Diego and the then-Territory of Hawaii) - Australia, Japan, the Philippines, and of course, Papua New Guinea.

In "TEETH" I explore some themes that have long been my companions (man versus nature); modern man in the Stone Age; tribalism at both the local and global levels, as the "Cowboy Nation" duels with the "Samurai Warrior" on the world stage. Then there is spiritual faith in the face of the apparent meaningless mayhem of war.

And of course, there must be a great love story, or it is no life worth living at all!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Teeth - The Epic Novel with Bite.

Quotes Timothy Liked

Timothy James Dean
I was on one of my world 'walkabouts.' It had taken me once more through Hong Kong, to Japan, Australia, and then Papua New Guinea in the South Pacific [one of the places I grew up]. There I found the picture of 'the Father.' It was a real, gigantic Saltwater Crocodile (whose picture is now featured on page 1 of TEETH).

From that moment, 'the Father' began to swim through the murky recesses of my mind. Imagine! I thought, men confronting the world’s largest reptile on its own turf! And what if they were stripped of their firearms, so they must face this force of nature with nothing but hand weapons and wits?

We know that neither whales nor sharks hunt individual humans for weeks on end. But, Dear Reader, crocodiles do! They are intelligent predators that choose their victims and plot their attacks. So, lost on its river, how would our heroes escape a great hunter of the Father’s magnitude? And what if these modern men must also confront the headhunters and cannibals who truly roam New Guinea?

What of tribal wars, the coming of Christianity and materialism (the phenomenon known as the 'Cargo Cult'), and the people’s introduction to 'civilization' in the form of world war? What of first contact between pristine tribal culture and the outside world? What about tribal clashes on a global scale—the hatred and enmity between America and Japan, from Pearl Harbor, to the only use in history of atomic weapons? And if the world could find peace at last, how about Johnny and Katsu?”
Timothy James Dean, Teeth - The Epic Novel with Bite