Thomas's Reviews > It

It by Stephen King

Nov 17, 07

bookshelves: stephen-king, horror
Read in July, 1986

I have this weird thing about mythologizing 1986 for myself. No big surprise, it was the year I graduated high school. Also the year Slayer played the Warner Theater on the Reign In Blood tour (what a show!)
It was also the year that IT came out. And I have to say, this book was one of the deepest reading experiences of my life. It was summer when the book was released, and I remember sitting out on the back porch and reading IT for 10 straight hours. I woke up the next day and immediately resumed reading. It was like eating a cinder block in 21 hours! I was deep in that story. I feel like this novel is a Stephen King bullion cube; like Stephen King X10. And it's scary, scary, scary.

And now for the WTF moment. This is total spoiler territory.
So did anyone else find it odd... the scene where the adolescent Losers are down in the sewers, and all seven of them have something to contribute to killing Pennywise. So what does young Beverly Marsh contribute? She . . . like . . . fucks all six of them?
Did that happen? That part of the reading is fuzzy, but did he really write that?
So weird! Yet I rarely hear it commented on. If I got to interview Stephen King, and could only ask one question, I'd be like: What's up with that scene?
I'm not complaining! IT rules. And the hardcover cover art with the claw emerging from the sewer grate is the undisputed champ!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Andrew Webb I know... that HAPPENED! At first I thought it cast a kind of shadow over the book, but then I thought, "This is one of the greatest and most meaningful books I have ever read... take it as it is!" With that said, the scene WAS shocking and disturbing and seemed a bit out of place.

Matthew I think it was their way of "becoming" adults and escaping the monster It. All the adults around them weren't affected, so they took what measures they deemed necessary.
It didn't work, as we know, because It managed to get them all back to Derry.