Elizabeth 's Reviews > Ash

Ash by Malinda Lo

Mar 04, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: fiction-fairytales-folklore, fiction-fantasy, fiction-queer, fiction-romance
Read in October, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I wish Goodreads let us grade on a one to ten scale. I need nuance! This is a 3.5-star book, with the current system, and that annoys me.

There are a number of things I liked about this book: the premise! the alienness/unhumanness of Sidhean! the concept of the King's Huntress! But the characterization is a little thin -- for something written in this tight a third-person POV, I should feel much more engaged in Ash's inner life and happiness than I am.

There are also a few continuity blips; one which stands out to me is the remark, about two-thirds of the way through, about Clara being the closest thing Ash has had to an ally in her stepmother's house. I swear to God, Clara has had maybe half a dozen lines of dialogue and most of them were to her mother or sister. That totally came out of nowhere, and it bothered me.

It would have been awesome if Lo had stuck with the storytelling she used in the first parts of the book -- it was a fantastic way to do her worldbuilding, very reminiscent of Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange Mr Norrell, but there was less of it in the later pages, and that made me sadface.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ash.