Lewis Manalo's Reviews > The Song Of The Red Ruby

The Song Of The Red Ruby by Agnar Mykle

Mar 04, 10

Read in March, 2010

Awesome, awesome, awesome. I can't remember the last time that I read something so frickin' funny and moving. I suspect that people who rated it low expected more sex in it due to it being the subject of the world's most famous obscenity case. (Note: most U.S. editions are abridged for content, too. The 1967 mass market is supposed to be complete.)

It's a great bildungsroman and a very alive portrait of Norway in the 1930s. Song of the Red Ruby is also a nice reminder that a hilarious figgin' book can still be great literature, something that most contemporary authors have forgotten.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Song Of The Red Ruby.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamar (new)

Tamar Senyak Hi Lewis! Your reviews always entice me to check out new books, you have such strong opinions of them all. This one though I plan on following through on-banned books have their own special appeal. I'm curious how you came across this book, in general, and physically? I have only found one copy available, and that's at a research library, so it can't be checked out.
Thanks for inspiring!

Lewis Manalo Howdy! I had to find this on Abebooks.com. If you find it be sure to get the 1967 paperback. That library copy is censored.

message 3: by Tamar (new)

Tamar Senyak Thanks for the helpful hints. Happy reading