Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen)'s Reviews > Hourglass

Hourglass by Claudia Gray

Mar 04, 10

bookshelves: luxuryreading, from-paperback-swap
Read on March 04, 2010

A big thank you to Claudia Gray for generously providing me with an ARC!

Picking up where Stargazer left off, Lucas and Bianca take refuge with the Black Cross, an organization sworn to destroy all vampires. Bianca's control over her need for blood is challenged as she struggles to conceal her true nature from the Black Cross team. After compromising Black Cross's safety, the organization is forced to regroup in New York City. Friendship and loyalty is put to the ultimate test when Bianca's secret is revealed. Left with no other choice but to flee, Bianca and Lucas set out on their own to start new lives.

As Bianca searches for the truth about the circumstances of her birth and her connection to the wraiths (ghosts), a sickness begins to overtake her. Not knowing where else to turn, Lucas seeks out Balthazar, his rival for Bianca's affections, to help him find a cure. But Bianca is not the only one undergoing changes; Lucas himself is gaining the strength and reflexes of a vampire. Will Lucas be able to save Bianca before it is too late, and save himself from becoming the one thing he truly hates?

Hourglass, the third installment in the Evernight series by Claudia Gray, left me absolutely speechless and drained of energy as I read the last page. Lucas and Bianca are put through trial after trial and heartache after heartache as early adulthood and responsibility is forced upon them. There are some really sweet moments between the two young lovers as they begin to test the boundaries of their emotional and physical attraction for one another. I could literally feel the urgency of their situation and the fear they both felt as they fight to be together against the wishes of their very different worlds.

At first glance, Hourglass and its predecessors might seem like just another addition to the growing teeny bopper vampire craze. These books set themselves apart by tackling adult situations and themes familiar in classical plays such as Romeo and Juliet and Westside Story. Anyone who is a sucker for stories involving star-crossed lovers will find hours of entertainment in this series. If you think you know all the plot twists, think again; Claudia Gray will surprise you every time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hourglass.

03/04/2010 page 25
03/04/2010 page 308
90.86% "This may just be the best book in the series so far. I can't wait to see what happens in "Afterlife"!"
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lacey (new)

Lacey I bought this first book! I hope to read it soon!

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) It's pretty good. I'm not dying to get my hands on the second one, but I'm definitely continuing with the series.

message 3: by Lacey (new)

Lacey Wait you read the 3rd one but not the 2nd? Or you just dont have a hard copy of the 2nd?

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) Ohhhh, wait. I got confused and thought you commented on a different book, the one I just marked as finished. Whoops! I've read all the Evernight ones.