Badly Drawn Girl's Reviews > In My Skin

In My Skin by Kate Holden

Mar 03, 2010

Read in March, 2010

I've read so many memoirs and a large percentage of those have involved addictions. This book quickly pulled away from the pack. This isn't your typical "got caught up in the downward spiral of drugs" book that is so often published. In fact, Kate's addiction doesn't even take up the majority of the book. The main focus is on her life as a sex worker. She starts out on the street, but ends up in a couple of different brothels. The book takes place in Australia, where brothels are legal and it seems like the attitudes about sex are more relaxed than what I've experienced in the US.

Kate makes no excuses for her behavior. She owns up to it all, and doesn't even look back on it with regret. She's a bright young woman who actually learns to love herself through her experiences with drugs and sexual encounters for money. It's that no apologies part that was so refreshing. No all drug addicts are miserable. Not all drug addicts are doomed. Not all sex workers are abused women who have nothing to fall back on. Kate Holden demolishes stereotypes right and left. That's not to say she sugar coats the experience, or make light of the downside. I didn't come away with any desire to switch careers. She gives up a lot to live that lifestyle.

I often thought of Candy Girl: A Year in the Life of an Unlikely Stripper by Diablo Cody while reading this book. This book does what that book tried to do, show us the inner workings of the sex trade with humor and honesty, and it does a better job of it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In My Skin.