Megan's Reviews > Let the Right One In

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Apr 20, 10

bookshelves: interlibrary-loan, 2010, fiction, horror, paranormal, adult
Read in April, 2010

* Do not like translated novels, I've found. I don't know why. I always feel a strange disconnect between the dialogue, and the characters.

* The translation obviously lost something. There were bits I felt could have been very poetic and all but were rendered too sparse and unfeeling in English.

* Too many characters, all wrapped up in their own little dramas. Just not necessary.

* Stupid twist.

* Not at all like Clive Barker or Neil Gaiman as the back cover claims. Well, as some reviewer on the back cover claims.

* Half a dozen "endings." I felt as though the book was never actually going to be finished.

* We do not need the squirrel's perspective, thank you very much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let the Right One In.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caris (new) - added it

Caris I cannot possibly disagree with you more. We need the squirrel's perspective.

Megan Maybe if it were a smarter squirrel.

message 3: by Caris (new) - added it

Caris Perhaps the squirrel was just dumbing down his experiences for human consumption.

Megan Oh, I don't know. That was one duuuuumb squirrel.

message 5: by Caris (new) - added it

Caris Don't forget that it was a Swedish squirrel. I'm certain his/her thoughts were very poetic and all but were rendered too sparse and unfeeling in English.

Megan Hmm. You're right. I take back my squirrel abuse!

message 7: by Caris (new) - added it

Caris [image error]

Chris I liked the Squirrel.

My dog, however, didn't. My friends dog says, "I need to add another squirrel to my kill list". So mixed reviews about the squirrel here.