Sensitivemuse's Reviews > Uneasy Lies the Head

Uneasy Lies the Head by Jean Plaidy

Mar 27, 10

Read from March 03 to 27, 2010

I have to say, I enjoyed reading this book. At first, it was a little hard for me to get into, as the plot did not grasp at my attention, and there is a slight confusion to all the names being thrown out to you as a reader. Hence why there are detailed family trees in the beginning for your reference. After getting the characters straightened out the plot gets more intriguing and the Tudor court suddenly comes to life. Albeit, not as dashing and charming as you might find in Henry the Eighth's court, but that's because his father was a penny pincher. The glamour isn't there yet, but the intrigue definitely is, and so is the constant plotting to get rid of the Tudors from the English throne.

I really liked the detail and effort Plaidy had put into this novel to made it as historically accurate as possible without really compromising anything. She breathed life into each of the characters so there's flesh and feeling to them and not just two dimensional things that don't develop at all, or are just there to take up a page or two. Her writing style is a little different, it's certainly more descriptive and sets the right moods and tones for the reader. The dialogue is all right and well written, and adds personality to the characters in the book. It was nice to see Katherine and Arthur again albeit for a very short period of time. She gained my sympathy towards the end of the novel for sure.

I also enjoyed how Henry the VII was so worried about these pretenders to the throne, and how he was always on the edge of his seat to defend it. Also, the outcome of the Princes of the Tower was interesting and well written here. What I didn't really like about this story? Henry was a bit too cold, almost lifeless and void of any real human emotion. He was like a robot. Also, his wife Elizabeth was mentioned but not as much as I hoped. I actually wanted to hear more about the story of both of them and how they got along in their marriage. However on a lighter note, it was nice to see Henry the Eighth, same as usual, arrogant as ever. It's nice to see some things that don't change in every Tudor novel I have come across.

Overall, a must read for Tudor fans everywhere. It sets the setting for Henry the Eighth and his court and keeps you wanting more to read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uneasy Lies the Head.