Sarah's Reviews > Starbucked: A Double Tall Tale of Caffeine, Commerce, and Culture

Starbucked by Taylor Clark

Sep 04, 10

bookshelves: business, non-fiction
Read from March 03 to September 04, 2010

Admittedly, I am a bit of a coffee freak, so a whole book about coffee sounded right up my alley. Even so, I was still worried that this would be some dry narration of the history of coffee that either touted the grandness of Starbucks or blamed it for all the evils of the world. I was pleased to find that not only is it a pretty fair look into the world of Starbucks, but the author is graced with a sarcastic sense of humor that keeps the book lively. Clark does a great job of pulling together a vast amount of research into a truly intriguing book about the effect of Starbucks on American culture.

There are a number of issues raised throughout the book that you don’t normally think about when you pick up your morning cup of coffee. One such issue is Starbucks influence on fair trade. I’m a big proponent of fair trade and supporting the small farms of the world, so I was interested in Clark’s view of the role Starbucks plays in the international coffee market. I was surprised by some of the facts mentioned in the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starbucked.