Shawna's Reviews > Journey Into Darkness

F 50x66
Mar 03, 2010

liked it
Read in February, 2010

What I didn't like about this book was Douglas's tendancy to reference stories that he already explored in his first book. Like the offensive ploy he claims he used that got Richard Speck to finally speak to authorities. He also reiterated the medical condition that downed him during the Green River Killer investigation. (Way to go on that case man, you guys finally nailed him after what 20 years?)

Douglas did write about some interesting cases that I hadn't read about before, and the book held my attention.

Although, I do take issue with the way he characterized Karla Homolka as a victim of her husband Paul Bernardo. I have to wonder if at the time of the writing the videotapes depicting Karla's involvement with the murders had come out. He seems to believe that Karla was as much a victim as Kristen French or Leslie Mahaffey. Not so. Any woman who participates in the rape (literally) and murder of her younger sister, is clearly depraved. He writes at one point in the book, "we all make our choices and must be held responsible for them." So why let this woman off the hook? I just couldn't buy his logic.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Journey Into Darkness.