Ariah's Reviews > Born to Buy

Born to Buy by Juliet B. Schor

Mar 10, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read from March 03 to 10, 2010

Born to Buy gives telling insight into the world of marketing to children and the affects of consumerism on our kids. I'm so grateful to Juliet Schor and the many other women who've championed the literature and research in this field.
Born to Buy is a bit more academic, but definitely not too much. Schor also uses the middle of the book to publish research findings from a study she personally did. It slows the reading down a bit and gets academic and information dense, but is extremely insightful.

I might recommend this as a second or third book to read regarding consumerism and kids. Probably read Buy, Buy Baby first. The most intriguing thing about Born to Buy is the quotes of marketers from interviews that Schor does. If you have some skepticism about marketing to kids you should hear what the people actually doing it have to say. They know it's wrong, some struggle with it, but most are pretty clear they aren't acting in the best interest of kids or our society.

Enjoyable book and it will fire you up to take action in your community.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born to Buy.

03/03/2010 page 36
12.5% "This stuff is fascinating to me"
03/07/2010 page 120
41.67% "Seriously, if you've never read a book about marketing to children, pick this up, or Buy, Buy, Baby or Consuming Kids"