Elizabeth *Swords for Fighting*'s Reviews > Oxygen

Oxygen by Carol Cassella

Mar 08, 2010

Read from March 03 to 08, 2010

was a little weary when I first picked up Oxygen. A story about an anesthesiologist? Definitely not my usual read, but I was pleasantly surprised. Oxygen was a great read! It reminded me of a hospital drama television show like Grey's Anatomy. The reader can most certainly tell that a doctor wrote this book. The medical terminology, equipment, procedures, and anything else medical related seemed extremely accurate and realistic to me.

Marie is an anesthesiologist who has a young child die on the operating child causing her to face a malpractice suit. Marie ends up beating herself up for this disastrous situation. She goes through each step she took over and over in her head trying to determine where she went wrong. The malpractice suit drags on for months with no settlement in sight, which is obviously a extremely stressful situation to be put in.

Through these hardships, Marie discovers who her true friends are among her colleagues as she tries to save her reputation and her career, which has been her number one priority since medical school. Through all of these struggles, Marie ends up spending more time with her former lover, best friend, and colleague, Dr. Joe Hillary. I must say that I really liked Joe's personality. He never really seemed like the serious, mature doctor type. He was kind of goofy in a good way.

Through the course of the book, Marie confronts a roller coaster of emotions from love to betrayal. I was completely caught off guard by the twist towards the end. I just did not see it coming! Definitely not predictable (at least for me).

I enjoyed Oxygen. It was well written and provided a great story. I thought the characters were well developed, and it seemed realistic! I could see this story happening in the real world, but what do I know about the life of a doctor? Definitely would recommend this book to any adult reader.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oxygen.