A.U.C.'s Reviews > Mrs Craddock

Mrs Craddock by W. Somerset Maugham

Mar 05, 10

bookshelves: read-in-spanish, read-in-2010
Read from March 03 to 05, 2010

When I finished Mrs. Craddock a strange sense of dizziness invaded me; the last few words and pages of the book melted into themselves, and suddendly I couldn't remember them; I could only remember that what I held in my hands is a really, really good book.

Is it a masterpiece? Maybe not; the greatest fault that I saw in "Mrs. Craddock" is that it is painfully obvious. Nothing in this book suprised me. Also, I was sad to see many similarities with "Of Human Bondage" which is Somerset Maugham's greatest book.

But otherwise, this book is entertaining, very descriptive, and, in great Maugham-fashion, it is smart. Exceedingly smart.

I think that the greatest accomplishment of this book is that it makes the reader itself feel intelligent; never mind if this is actually true or not. But the way that it mocks others' foolishness, and the way that the narrator is obviously above them all in intelligence, it would make even the most ignorant feel proud of themselves. This is why everybody is destined to like it.

Besides, it's an easy read; I think I already mentioned this but few books I have ever read are descriptive and not boring. Somerset Maugham does this in not only this book, but in every one of his works.

Another one of the great things about this work is how captivating it is; it's real (unlike many romantic novels) and yet one can't help reading "one more page" for 100 pages more.

This book is great, but, again, not a masterpiece. However, Maugham is a genius.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mrs Craddock.

03/03/2010 page 200
78.13% "Very entertaining, Somerset-style. And like always, this man is genius. Says stuff that is worthy of phylosophy books."