Kim's Reviews > Lisey's Story

Lisey's Story by Stephen King

Nov 25, 07

Read in November, 2007

I was hesitant to read Lisey's Story. I love Stephen King's older novels but his recent novels left me disappointed. I can now say I am glad I read Lisey's Story.

In a nutshell, the book is about Lisey Landon, widow of best selling author, Scott Landon. Two years after his untimely death she is finally cleaning out his office. She's also got a nutcase sister and a stalker after Scott's last manuscripts.

This book is different from traditional King horror novels in that it is mostly a love story about Lisey and Scott's relationship from the early dating years to Scott's death after 25 years of marriage. I hate to admit that I teared up in a few parts. Don't get me wrong, the story creeped me out too, which made for an odd combination. But it worked.

I only have one major complaint with this book. As with most of King's recent books, this one suffers from his verbal diarrhea which slows down the pace. The paperback version is almost 700 pages long. It could easily be cut back a few hundred pages and be just as good.

I've read numerous reviews on this book and noticed that the reviewers either loved or hated the made up language between Scott and Lisey. I smucking loved it. It was interesting to get inside a relationship and see the secret language made up in it. Shite, if anything, it was an entertaining read even if the words don't exist in the Merriam-Webster dictionary.

This is a bool hunt worth reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lisey's Story.