Annalisa's Reviews > How to Say Goodbye in Robot

542037
Mar 03, 2010

bookshelves: young-adult, contemporary
Read from September 04 to 05, 2010

How to Say Goodbye in Robot starts with a strong voice and weaves into a complicated relationship that was so real it broke my heart. I got why Bea fell into this co-dependency. You have a closed-off boy who shuns everyone else and all of a sudden he wants to be your friend. Somehow that makes you special or really nice or cool or something than stands out from the masses. No matter how un-friend-worthy said boy turns out to be, you would do anything to hold up his volatile world and emotions and thoughts because somehow the burden of his emotional well-being has fallen to you. And even though you aren't getting much back in this platonic relationship, because he picked you, you take that burden and feel special that you have been given something so personal.

Amidst all these unrealistic fantasy relationships, this one is authentic teenage girl without being stupid or obsessive or fake and yet Bea is still somehow stupid and obsessive and fake in a real, non-obnoxious way. No matter how much I wanted to hate Jonah or shake Bea and tell her to let him cope with his own problems, I couldn't do it without being a hypocrite. And really, I couldn't hate Jonah anyway because he was so broken and I could feel that natural instinct in me to protect him too. In the end, Bea's behavior errs on the side of "this would make the protagonist sympathetic" instead of "this is how a real teenager would act," but all-in-all an honest look at the off-balance dependency in teenage relationships.

I love the title, but the pink cover has got to go. This isn't fluff romance. In fact, there isn't really any romance in it. Unless you consider friends that creep into your soul and change you romantic. Love maybe, but not romance. And despite what the title sounds like, there is no fantasy, unless you count some guy who calls into the radio claiming he can travel time fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Say Goodbye in Robot.

Kristy i want this book so bad!!!!

Megan Me too =)

Robotgirl33 DeShong Same! this is my favorite book!