Tessa's Reviews > That Was Then, This Is Now

That Was Then, This Is Now by S.E. Hinton

Mar 03, 10

bookshelves: yyay
Read in March, 2010

I reluctantly picked this up again--not because I'm not into S.E. Hinton but because I was seriously into S.E. Hinton as a tween. My only memory of this book is weeping with abandon all the way through the last chapter. But I couldn't remember a speck of the plot. So I was apprehensive about how well it would hold up.

I still think this book is great, but it didn't make me cry. In fact, I'm not sure why I was crying--probably just because of the themes in the book and the way they are presented--Bryon's tough, matter-of-fact narration with his unconscious introspection, just leading the reader through the way things change when you're growing up. He used to think in terms of the gang, now he's his own personality. He used to get all worked up about fights, now he needs to get a job. And I didn't remember that this is set in the same town as the Outsiders, and that Ponyboy is a minor character! But this is set later, when the hippie culture is really starting to take off.

(S.E. Hinton must also have been where I got the word "tuff", which I tried to make happen in my vocabulary but it never did.)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Was Then, This Is Now.