Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day)'s Reviews > Shantaram

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shantaram.

06/02/2011 page 20
2.0% "So far, so good. I adore Gregory's descriptive writing. It's hard not to visualize the Bombay he describes. It will be a few more pages before I can say what I feel about his perspective, but I'm enjoying it so far."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane D. (new) - added it

Diane D. Oh, Aths, I have this to read for about 2 years and have heard wonderful things about it.

message 2: by Athira (new) - added it

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) Diane, I am doing this as a readalong on a group here. We just started today. It runs from today till August 10. Would you like to join us? (I just read 10 pages today and I'm already in love!)

message 3: by Diane D. (new) - added it

Diane D. I wish I could, but I am so overcommitted with reading now it's crazy, but fun! Thank you for invite though and I'm glad to know you love it so much after only 10 pages. I'll look forward to hearing your progress.

message 4: by Athira (new) - added it

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) Awww.. I would have loved to have you on board. But still, I understand the plenty of reading on your plate. I was planning the shantaram readalong at least 3 or 4 months ago. I wouldn't be able to jump into one so quickly either!

message 5: by Fay (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fay It is absolutely amazing! So far the book describes things so well that i feel like i am right there in the action!

message 6: by Athira (new) - added it

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) Yay, Faye! I'm glad you feel the same way too!

message 7: by Fay (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fay I am currently working my way through chapter 3 and feel bad every time i have to put the book down. I feel like i am there with him and the more i read the more i want to book tickets to jet off asap!!!

message 8: by Athira (new) - added it

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) Wow, you are way ahead! I just finished Chapter 1 yesterday and plan to tackle Chapters 2 and 3 today. Hopefully...

message 9: by Fay (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fay How did you get on? I am hoping to finish Chapter 4 today and move into 5 but it is not looking very likely!

message 10: by Athira (new) - added it

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) Wow! You are doing fabulous! I just started Chapter 2 today (blame a family emergency!) But I'll get there. Soon. :)

message 11: by Fay (last edited Jun 07, 2011 06:30AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fay I am sure you will be overtaking me soon enough! I am back to work next week so I am making the most of the downtime i have to read, read and read some more! I hope the family emergency got sorted and everyone is ok? x

message 12: by Athira (new) - added it

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) Right now, the emergency is sorted out, though more checkups tomorrow. As if that wasn't distraction enough, I just got a new gadget, so off goes the reading time again. Still, there's the weekend!

message 13: by Diane D. (new) - added it

Diane D. Hi Aths, I was wondering if you were still reading this one and if you are still enjoying it.

message 14: by Athira (new) - added it

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) I am still reading it, though I'm somewhat behind schedule. The book is good - it reads really fast and is hard to put down. I do have issues with the author's sometimes condescending tone and sometimes too-much-description, but overall it's entertaining.

message 15: by Diane D. (new) - added it

Diane D. thanks for the update, glad that you are still reading it and liking it.

message 16: by Oria (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oria Hi Athira,

message 17: by Athira (new) - added it

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) Oria wrote: "Hi Athira,
I bought the book yesterday and already went through the first 50 pages. I have a feeling me and this book are going to be great friends in the next few days. :)"

Yay, Delia!! So glad to hear that! Can't wait to hear what you think of it!

message 18: by Oria (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oria Did you give up on it, Aths?

message 19: by Athira (new) - added it

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) Oria wrote: "Did you give up on it, Aths?"

:) I didn't. I took a long break that I need to start it again. So I've planned it for my December vacation. I just got bogged by too many unexpected things over the summer.