Wendy's Reviews > Neverwhere

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Mar 02, 2010

bookshelves: 2013, e-book, fiction, 2015, audiobook
Read from May 08 to 09, 2015

Neil Gaiman's mind works in ways both slightly alien and entirely fascinating to me, and I'm so glad it does. He is so original, so fearless and unblinking, that I find myself holding my breath, unaware until I gasp for more air.

Bits of this book reminded me of Good Omens, which he co-wrote with Terry Pratchett: there's someone called Sable in both books, and references to gods and mythology. And there are bits of prose that startle and make one laugh, even when the subject matter isn't laughable, e.g., (and this isn't a direct quote) "This was not the kind of river one fell into and swam to the side and got out. It was the other kind."

One thing I found particularly memorable - or perhaps two things - are the creepy assassins, Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar, who call each other Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar, are calm and polite, eat slugs and bite the heads off pigeons, and torture and kill efficiently and with great relish. Apart from the "eating live critters" thing, and being significantly better dressed, they reminded me unpleasantly of the creepy gay hit men from "Diamonds are Forever", Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd. I wonder if that's where the author got his inspiration.

*~*~*~*

May 9, 2015

Listened to the BBC dramatization of the book, starring James McAvoy, Natalie Dormer, Anthony Head as the creepy Mr. Croup, Cummerbund Bandersnatch as Islington, and ever so many other wonderful voices. Fantastic adaptation, and a fairly quick listen. Ideal for a long road trip.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neverwhere.

05/14/2013 marked as: currently-reading