Stephen's Reviews > Lady Windermere's Fan

Lady Windermere's Fan by Oscar Wilde

Mar 02, 10

bookshelves: plays-are-to-be-seen-not-read, books-read-in-2012, literature, and-saw-the-movie
Read in February, 2012

Realizing that I'd never seen nor read this I recently filled this gap in my theatrical education.

This was Wilde's first truly sucessful play and contains many of the one-liners that have become legend. It has been so widely quoted that I kept feeling that I'd read or seen it before. I'm still somewhat convinced that large portions of this made it into the last movie version An Ideal Husband. I need to view that again to lay those feelings to rest.

As with all of Wilde's work, this play has some wonderful observations about morals and society and the relationship between men and women that are made all the more insidious by the way that Wilde sets them on their heads.

Being a gay man, I heard about the downfall of the man even before I'd ever seen any of his plays and always see his plays in the light of what I know about his story. I think that that adds a layer of pathos to his works that many of his contemporaries missed out on. Either way, his plays truly are the works of a genius and will continue to appeal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Windermere's Fan.