Angela's Reviews > Uglies

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

May 04, 10

bookshelves: ya, library-book, sci-fi-fantasy
Read from May 02 to 04, 2010

I'm not sure amazing is what I thought of this novel, but I more than really liked it. I'd give it a 4 1/2 stars if I could, leaning on the side of 5 stars, if that makes any sense at all! *rolls eyes at self*

I liked the uniqueness of the "uglies" world. And, strangely enough, I liked that this story didn't end all sunshine and roses. I'm hopeful that David and Tally will be together in the long run, but for some reason, I have this horrid feeling, the fates will keep them apart... *sadface*

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uglies.

05/03/2010 page 111
24.78% "Picked up this bk last night when I couldn't find my copy of Wicked Lovely (I'z lame). Lovin' it so far. =)"
05/03/2010 page 243
54.24% 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I really liked the first 3 books of the series. He develops his characters really well.

Greta is Erikasbuddy LOLZ! I can't wait for you to read PRETIES!!! Omg!! Just wait!! (then tell me what team you're on hehehs!!)

Angela @ AH - He does a really great job of it. And he makes Tally very likable. Even when I didn't agree with her I understood why she said and did the things she did. Does that even make sense? hehe

@ erikasbuddy - *sighs* I'm already on the second book of Pretties. I can see where this is going... Just FYI: I always have a hard time switching teams... But that Zane is a cutie. That's for sure. As of now, I'm still Team David (gosh I HATE teams!). I'll keep you posted on my status.

Greta is Erikasbuddy HAHA!! Oh do you my pet?... wait till the next book hahahas!!!

message 5: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Have you read any of his other stuff? Peeps was interesting (although a little too detailed about parasites). I liked the Midnighters series too.

Greta is Erikasbuddy I haven't read any of his other books. I have thought about it though. Are they any good?

message 7: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH All his stuff is different - Leviathan is an alternate universe telling of WWI. To get a feel for that one, check out his web site and watch the trailer. I liked it, but it's not for everyone.

Peeps is about vampirism as a parasitic disease. A lot of detail on parasites, but good story.

Midnighters is a 3 book story about what happens in the midnight hour. Kids who are born exactly at midnight have special powers in the one extra hour of the day that only they experience. The fun thing about this book is that he uses 13 letter words for protection from the things that go bump in the night. It's a great vocabulary builder.

Angela @ AH & erikasbuddy - These are the first of his books that I have read. But I do plan on reading his other novels. If I like an author I will normally read everything they have written. It's very rare that I don't.

All of those sounds super interesting. I might start with the Midnighters first. What do you think AH? And thank you so much for the info. =)

Oh and erikasbuddy, I like being your pet. Just sayin'. hehehe

Greta is Erikasbuddy HAHAHS! That's a good pet pet!!

Can't wait for you to read SPECIALS... that one was my favorite out of the series :) -- it's sooo DELICIOUS (you'll see ;) )

OH!! And when I said TEAMS... I meant ... Team UGLY or TEAM PRetty ;) I just realized ... DOH!! You thought that I menat the boys ;)

Have a BUBBLY day!

message 11: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH I think the word for 13 letter words is tridecalogism. That will be your first new word. And funnily enough, when you read that book, you start counting letters of the words....It's great if you play Scrabble.

Greta is Erikasbuddy Good grief!! I don't think my little ferret brain could handle 13 letter words lolz! I'm lucky if I can remember 3 letter ones ;P

Angela @ erikasbuddy - Really? I'll be divided on whether I want the pretties or the uglies to win?! Dear goodness. =\ Silly me always focused on the "man" meat! *winks slyly*

@ AH - I'm such a nerd I got excited when I read that in your description of the book. I am a terrible speller but the English Major in me loves to pretend I can spell! I want to buy a Scrabble set but I'm scared with a little one running about that she'll swallow them. Or that my son will! *ramble ramble*

Greta is Erikasbuddy HAHAS!! Well, there's always room for jello and man meat of course lolz!!

BUt yes yes... You will be divided... or should I say THIRD-ed (is that a real word?).... Cuz, my favorite book is the 3rd book... so figure out what TEAM I was on lolz!!

Have fun with them ---

YAY NERDS!! and the girls who pretend to be smart and just nod when big words are thrown at them lolz! (*points to self hehe)

message 15: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH By the third book, (Midnighters) I kind of made a game out of writing down the 13 letter words and bugging my kids with them...Teenagers...so easy to embarrass.

Re Uglies...Third book is the best...

Angela @ erikasbuddy - I cannot live without my vegan jello. True story. Annnnd, Pretties is on hold (*sadface*) because I found where my two year old stashed my copy of Wicked Lovely. It's due next week at the library so I'z got to read it. I am sooo un-smart I can't even pretend.

@ AH - LOL I am going to try that with my oldest. She's only in 4th grade but she's got a pretty great vocabulary. =) I'm really looking forward to book 3. I love the second one so far. Tally is so different yet that same.

Greta is Erikasbuddy LOL!! You are NOT UN-SMART!! I know you better than that ;P

OMG! You misplaced a libary book? BAD CUTIE!! BAD!!

Well, you'll get back to the bubbly world of the Pretties soon enoough :) I'm off to get a spinny tattoo lolz.

Angela I renewed them so that I can stay bubbly. It would be totally bogus to stop reading the series now. ;)

I didn't misplace the book, my toddler did. I refuse to take the blame for it. *chuckles* I did find it however. No harm no foul.