Morgan F's Reviews > The Unwritten Rule

The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott

Mar 09, 10

bookshelves: pulse-it, young-adult, goodreads-author, its-a-girl, 2010, read-2010, realistic, candy, small-sized, e-book
Read from March 06 to 09, 2010

When I first saw this book, it looked charming. Nothing earth-shattering, of course, but charming.

This book is about Sarah, the shy best friend of the beautiful Brianna. Sarah has always done her best to be the perfect friend for Brianna, whether its being there when Brianna's parents screw up again or just making Brianna feel needed. But one thing is threatening their friendship: Sarah seriously likes Brianna's boyfriend, Ryan, and that feeling is only magnified when Ryan and her kiss. Now Sarah must make a decision. Who's more important in her life? The cute artistic guy she's liked since eighth grade?, or her demanding best friend?

I liked this book. My favorite thing about it was Sarah's parents. They were adorable, quirky, and caring. YA fiction seriouly needs more parents like these. I even liked Brianna's depth. It would be one thing if she was just a bitchy mean girl, but she's a bitchy mean girl with reasons for her bitchiness. I also liked all the little awkward moments between the characters, because they were all too realistic.

Now there were things I didn't like. Amongst them the writing style. It was a little too informal and conversational, like it was straight out of the thought-process of a teen. I wasn't too big a fan of the narrator either. She was a little too meek and her constant fretting about the kiss could get annoying. I wanted to shake her sometimes, and yell at her to stand up for herself. And I still have one question left at the end of the book. Why did Ryan go out with Brianna in the first place if he liked Sarah so much? If the answer is in there, and I missed it, please let me know. I also found the character roles a little bit of a cliche. I think I've had enough shy-girl-with-beautiful-best-friend-discovers-herself stories for a while.

I did like the ending. It surprised me.

Overall, a cute little book. It reads quickly and there is a little message wrapped up in it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unwritten Rule.

03/07/2010 page 80
38.1% "Root beer has been mentioned seven times already on seven different occasions. I wish I was exaggerating." 1 comment

Morgan F Nah, wasn't me. I'm reading this one off of pulse-it.