Kristin's Reviews > The House of Tomorrow

The House of Tomorrow by Peter Bognanni

Mar 02, 10

Read in February, 2010

A friend handed me this book after discovering my weird musical tastes. Since it is a story about a teenage boy and his introduction to punk music, I didn’t expect to connect with this novel. What a pleasant surprise!
This is the story of Sebastian Prendergast and his eccentric grandmother, who live in a geodesic dome in small town Iowa. Since I happen to have a great friend, Vicky, who grew up in Hobbit Hollow, a series of underground houses in small town Kansas, I had to keep reading. Boy, I am glad I did.
Sebastian, completely sheltered from the world outside of the futuristic dome, is thrown into the present with a chance meeting with the Whitcomb family. By grabbing his moment, he is soon introduced to the world of Sonic Youth, Sid and Nancy and bass guitar. With chain smoking Jared Whitcomb, a heart transplant recipient as his guide, Sebastian discovers the importance of family and learns the valuable lesson; things aren’t always as they seem. This interesting array of characters and emphasis on a first introduction to music make this novel an enjoyable read. If you love music, have ever felt like an outcast or live in Hobbit Hollow, I highly recommend you pick up this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of Tomorrow.