Doug Luberts's Reviews > His Dark Materials

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman

3319538
Feb 25, 11

Read in February, 2011

Just finished this last night.

Was curious after seeing the (awful) movie about the author's take on atheism and a trilogy of books where someone sets out to kill god. The first book, The Golden Compass, was promising enough that I decided to keep on going.

Nice use of language, overall plot and pacing not bad. While the books seem to be building to a climax, the battle against "God" is an anti-climax. God, or The Authority, is an aging pretender to the title who was not the real creator of the all, who's power was usurped by a middle manager now sitting the celestial throne and causing all kinds of whackiness. (and why is it always middle-management that gets bad-rapped?)

The final message is all about our lives, and our World(s), being all we have and it being our responsibility to build the "Kingdom of Heaven" in the here and now. All done with a rather heavy-handed bashing of the Catholic Church, and Christianity in general. As much as I enjoy a good bashing of institutionalized religion, it was a big wind-up to a very small pitch that wasn't all that entertaining.

Next.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Dark Materials.