Carly's Reviews > Watch Over Me

Watch Over Me by Christa Parrish

Mar 05, 10

Read from March 02 to 05, 2010

When Deputy Benjamin Patil finds a baby girl only a few hours old abandoned in a field, he and his wife Abbi are chosen to be foster parents for her. But, their home is filled with stress and disagreement and may not be the ideal home for this baby. The source of the tension is Benjamin’s trauma while serving in Afghanistan. Their lives intersect with a young man, Matthew who suffers from several medical issues and comes from a troubled family. As Abbi and Benjamin continue to take care of the baby, more and more pain is revealed and their marriage struggles to survive.
I have to say I have mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, Christa Parrish is a very gifted writer and storyteller. She is definitely an author I am interested in continuing to read. I found this book to be a bit too edgy for my liking. Now, I usually like edgy books, a lot, but this one just did not agree with me entirely. One reason for that is possibly because of the sexual presence in this story. Don’t get me wrong, this book was not trashy or smutty at all, but I just felt it was a bit much for my liking. I also had trouble relating to Abbi and her more liberal tendencies, especially her anti war stance.
I really liked Matthew’s part in this story. He was my favorite character and I felt he was a strong presence in this story. His persistent faith and determination were inspiring.
Overall, this book is well written, the story is interesting with very real characters. If you like edgy fiction, this is definitely the book for you.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watch Over Me.