Orin's Reviews > Foreigner

Foreigner by Robert J. Sawyer

Aug 30, 10

liked it
Read in February, 2010

An enjoyable book and a quick read, but a few things bug me.

Firstly, I expected a return of The Watcher from Fossil Hunter. A sentience that spans the Universe and is, in fact, older than it? Awesome. Sounds like it should probably be a repeating character, though.

Secondly, there seems to be a logical flaw with the Jijaki extinction. So the last space ark to the Quintaglio moon happens to now have the last Jijaki on it — ok. It plummets from the sky. All established in Fossil Hunter. But as presented on viewscreens at the top of the space elevator in this book, the Quintaglio moon is actually number 27 out of 31. How'd those last four become seeded? Furthermore, how did a species whose mission was to preserve Earth life on planets other than Earth not have the foresight to preserve specimens of itself? I guess I was really just rooting for a return of my Jijaki friends.

I was afraid that the part of this book that would annoy me was the psychoanalysis. I'm not a fan of Freud, and consider him rather unscientific and backwards, and didn't expect placing him in a pantheon with Galileo and Darwin would pay out. Nevertheless I found the logic of it quite satisfactory, and hey, now I dislike Freud less.

I just… I wish the trilogy overall paid out more, and especially that there was more of a continuation of Fossil Hunter's cosmic perspective. Perhaps one day I'll be lucky enough to read an epilogue to the epilogue, and I'll be made satisfied.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foreigner.