Jesse's Reviews > 2666

2666 by Roberto Bolaño

Apr 01, 10

bookshelves: him, them
Read in March, 2010

If the last book was a little underwhelming, so what? Not until the last couple hundred pages was my analytical brain really aware that I was reading a novel rather than simply having an experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 2666.

03/14/2010 page 1333

message 1: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Hart Oooh, I want to read this. How are you liking it?

Jesse It's top notch. You would like it.

Jesse It's both very violent and very funny, a combination that you can stomach better than most people I know.

message 4: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Hart Is it strange that I take that as a compliment?

message 5: by Cody (last edited Mar 16, 2010 09:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cody Finished, Jesse? Magnificent, no? Tiffany and I are revisiting *The Savage Detectives,* by listening to it before bed. Have you read that? In many ways, I think you might actually like that better than *2666.*

Jesse Oh, I hadn't finished when Goodreads updated me but I'm finished now. To be funny (ha ha) I had marked my progress as "1333", meaning I was half finished but Goodreads didn't get the joke. I wrapped it up, though, over vacation, on a rock by a rushing river and celebrated the occasion with a Furst Puckler (not really) at Prince Pucklers (really!). I have Savage Detectives at home but I'm not tackling another "winter read" with the sun shining like it is. Maybe after we "fall back" in November.

message 7: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Hart I was considering getting this on Audible. Do you think it read well as an audiobook, or do you think it would be better to actually read it in written form?

Jesse I've only ever listened to a couple of audiobooks. I like them but find that they don't fit into my life very well. Give it a shot, though, I'm sure its great.